Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Oh Canada!

My mother was born and raised in Canada. My father was born and raised in California. They met about half way between and settled in California. Not until the year I was married did my mother become a US citizen. So, growing up, I considered myself half and half. While I treasure my US citizenship, I also have deep roots and love for Canada, and my Canadian relatives are the salt of the earth! Though I don't see them often enough, it is always a joy when I do.

One of my happy memories of visiting Canada as an impressionable teenager was going to my aunt's boyfriend's hockey game. How quickly I learned - Hockey is THE Canadian sport. I also learned, dress warm, buy hot chocolate, and keep your eye on the puck - if you can. Knowing nothing about the game at first, it wasn't hard to figure out the purpose, get the puck in the net. What was really amazing from an inept skater like myself is how in the world do they go backwards and crash into each other at breakneck speed and not fall? I still have no idea, but the thrill of it all left me with happy memories.

Fast forward over thirty years and now I have teenagers. While I have enjoyed watching hockey on the Olympics even more than ice-skating for all these years, now my boys were excited too. I've taken them to the ice-skating rink more than the bowling alley. They love to skate and have figured out skating backwards (I know living vicariously through my children, sadly.) Anyhow, with much anticipation the US Hockey team was watched. These pictures are all from last week. Tonight was too riveting to move. When they beat Canada a week ago, it was shocking.
Well, it was exciting too, though I felt from the beginning, no matter which team won, I couldn't lose. But, clear kudos to the designer of the US Goalie's helmet - LOVE THAT! And, what a goalie Ryan Miller turned out to be!
Even MyGirl joined in the family experience, wrapped in a patriotic fleece blanket.
Now, while in my heart I loved both teams, I had to cheer for America, or "find myself new sleeping quarters," MyMike said with a smile, kind of. . . .

So, tonight it was SOME GAME! Fast, Exciting, Close, and then it was over - Gold for Canada. And, I was happy, knowing my aunts, uncles, and cousins were happy. I am proud of how well the US team played, but I was proud to hear O Canada sung with great fervor. I always get a lump in my heart whenever it is sung because every time I ever saw my mother sing it when I was a child, she had a lump in her throat too. It represents being far away from those we love, but knowing we're connected still. In my heart, Canada is partly my team too! And, since I know Uncle Dennis has helped spread my blog to that part of my family, Congratulations to all of you in the land of the maple leaf. My heart is with you too!

No comments: