Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Cupcake Quilt

Back when we had a local quilt shop, small though it was, it held a lot of fabulous fabric. One day I came across the aqua and pink cake and cupcake fabric and I fell in love! Over the next year whenever I was at a quilt shop I'd look for reds, pinks, and aquas to go with it. I also had some grey that was perfect, and in the last couple of weeks I've cut and sewed and created a big cupcake to applique on top, officially giving it the title of "Cupcake Quilt."  The back is Riley Blake Chevron fabric, as well as the cupcake print, and the polka dot is Michael Miller.

I learned a few things about myself making this:
1) I need more challenge. There was no surprise in how it was all going to turn it, as it was just sewing rows, and that was very boring for me.  Even though it was only 90 minutes to put it all together, it was so tedious just to sew long rows, I couldn't wait to be finished.  I don't think I can do row quilts again.
2) I can do the blanket stitch applique on my machine, but I prefer hand stitching. It looks better, it feels more creative and its a lot less stressful for me mentally. Yes, its also slower, but that's okay for me. My appliques will be hand stitched from now on.
3) My borders should always be hand stitched also. I machine stitched this one, and realized I feel very disconnected from this quilt. Its not the labor of love my other quilts have been. 

Lessons learned about my preferences and style. . . noted.



 And a Very Happy 22nd Birthday to BigBuddy today! We celebrated with everyone on Sunday. Then yesterday he and I got up before 6 to go fishing out at our favorite local lake. We saw a beaver, a deer, and two heron all up that early too and watched a beautiful day emerge from the fog. . . it really was stunning! Today we went out to lunch and he's off to work soon. Sure am glad for all the time we've been able to spend together. He's a great son!

No comments: