Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Getaway

My Mother's Day this year started a few days early, when my Mom and I went to see Cowgirl. At first I wasn't sure I would go, with my son just getting home, but my dad was willing to take care of everyone while I was gone, and their dad was at work, and so we went. We'd signed up to take some classes at the Home Machine Quilting Show in Sandy, UT. I loved learning new things, checking out the quilts and shopping at the vendors. My Aunt Lisa came too, so the four of us enjoyed all that the quilt show offered as well as had fun checking out CityCreek in Downtown Salt Lake and the International Art Competition's Exhibit at the Church Art Museum  (I forgot to take photos there, but I loved it!) We visited several quilt shops in the area, ate yummy food, and had a great time.  This first quilt won the Best In Show, then we came home and  Mom saw it on the cover of one of her quilting magazines. It really was incredible! The photos don't even begin to do it justice, but the execution was inspiring. And, this blog doesn't do justice to the joy it was to be with my mom and daughter and aunt. How I love the good women in my life! They inspire me! 


 I thought LittleBuddy would love the subject of this quilt - knights and dragons.
 This was a class I took on thread. That tree is all thread. Just one of many ways my eyes were opened to new possiblities in the quilting world. The creativity there was motivating. I just wanted to come home and start sewing, but the reality was, MyMike is working overtime so I took Littlebuddy to a fireside with the YM General Pres. as soon as I got home. No sewing yet.
 Our eyes were opened to the possibilities of chenille. We all bought some so expect to see some of that in the future.
 Lisa had been to CityCreek the week before, so she gave us a tour. It really is pretty there. We ate lunch at the Blue Lemon restaurant and it was good.
 Walking through temple square is always beautiful.
 Their gardeners grow gorgeous flowers!
 In one of the quilt shops we saw quilted labels. We also learned how to make photo labels for our quilts. Labeling quilts was not something I'd given much thought to before. Another surprise, was that a lady in our local guild was one of the judges for the show in Salt Lake City. . . Small world.
The weather was wonderful, the trees were in bloom, we were all amazed at some of the things that we saw this week and I for one came back feeling rejuvenated and energized to create good things. Of course the reality is, creating this life for our family; fixing problems, encouraging others' creativity, keeping the wheels of our schedules and needs moving forward and finding joy in it all is what I try to create every day. The fabric and paper stuff, I squeeze in if there are moments left at the end of the day. The Best Show Quilt - a mother of 3 children under 13, who mostly quilts at night, challenged herself to make a compass quilt. She's self-taught. She figured it out by reading books, and trial and error, as most of us do.  It just makes me love that quilt all the more. Creative projects are inspiring and fun to engage in, but real life is the best creative adventure and I'm grateful every day for a mother who has shown me how to enjoy them both.

No comments: