Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Summertime



We've spent five days camping this summer and in spite of everything, it really was fun. But honestly, at every campout, there is a time, when I end up saying a silent prayer that I was not born to be a pioneer woman! And, I really don't know what to do sometimes, but everyone else seems to know, so they set me straight. But, still, I cook, I clean, I unload, I help set up, I hold hands, I provide and play games, I bring all the "stuff" for s'mores, I share a devotional, I take lots of photos, and I thank my Heavenly Father for this beautiful part of the world I can breathe deeply in and enjoy the serenity of being unplugged from the outside world.

This time we did not see any snakes, and no one got stung by a hornet, however the noises and bugs seemed much more plentiful than just a month ago, so I was grateful MyMike killed the big ugly wolf spider in the women's bathroom, because that was just TOO MUCH for me! I missed hiking and having Cowgirl with us this time, but the kids loved riding their bikes and the beach was much less crowded than last time, so all in all it was good. I am most grateful for a queen sized air mattress and my husband who is Super Camper and who is so organized and makes everything work out.

I made bean burritos down by the lake on two sheets of tinfoil over the campfire grill, one afternoon for lunch, and those were Delish! I slathered refried beans on top of a flour tortilla and cheese, let it melt, then added chopped olives and taco sauce when I put them on the plates. Everyone loved them and they were easy! Our favorite camping breakfast? Yogurt with granola! What did the pioneers do without coolers??? I'm so glad I'll never know. I wish I could say I never complained, but I'm far too imperfect. Still, though, I did it, and both times I got in long, good talks with my daughters, and that was really one of the highlights for me. I go where my family goes. And I enjoy Them - uninterrupted, all day and night, in a beautiful wooded setting. . . . The bugs, the dirt, the critters, the inconveniences, a bathroom that requires a flashlight to get to in the middle of the night - those are things I could just as easily do without.



MyGirl and I spent the first two weeks of August with "sick bugs" so were just happy to be finally feeling better by the weekend so we could end up going camping! And while she was sick and napping one afternoon, I got some scrapping time in . . . Here are the highlights of our trip to the Capitol last May. (Remember to see details, double click on the photo.)

No comments: