Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

My Little Man


My baby continues to grow up. He's now five feet tall. Here is a glimpse of his last few days, looking backwards. He's only ten, but sometimes he just blends right in with everyone older. Here he is at the skating rink, on Saturday, tagging along with big brother and his friends. He loves to skate and was having fun going forwards and backwards and getting his feet used to skates again after almost a year on hiatus. He's also good about stopping and posing for all my photos whenever I ask - trained young, he was! :-)

Friday he and his dad were invited to a father/son night at his school. I wasn't invited so these are pics from New Year's karaoke - they both have great voices but you may never hear them - too shy to sing in public, but truly they sing wonderfully!!!
Over Christmas break they had fun working on robotics projects just the two of them in the den. In many ways their minds are alike.

On Thursday night he bridged from Cub Scouting to Boy Scouting. After the Pinewood Derby he'll be eleven, and moving on up. Can't say I'm going to miss Pack meeting too much, but its a big transition, and in some ways I'm just sad that its happening already. My friend, that night, noted, that in just a few months I'll be down to half my children at home. Sad as that day is, at least this guy will be with me still. We had a great time playing games last night and taking time to share our thoughts and feelings. This morning we signed him up for Little League for another Spring season. I'm glad he'll be around for a few more years still. I enjoy him so!

Wednesday night was his postponed Winter Concert. He's first chair on the viola. Its really not fair, he seldom practices at home at all, but music is in his blood. He thought about giving it up this year because each 5th grader can only choose two extra curricular groups to be involved in, and he had said all last year he wanted to be on safety patrol and student council. He is a natural leader so I understood that, though sad he couldn't play his viola too, so was starting to look for private teachers. Instead, however, he chose at the last minute to be a technology helper and play viola again in the orchestra. I think his music teacher would have truly been crushed if he hadn't come back this year, and his love for her, and her for him, won him over. She was a great teacher for Steven too. I am grateful for good-hearted teachers who influence my children for good.

No comments: