Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Amy

Amy died yesterday morning. I was home hosting a bridal shower. Oh, the irony. I got the call when I was across the street at Costco, afterwards, realizing once again we were out of milk. Not a good place to get news like that. Fortunately, I had just paid and could hand the recipt and cart to my son and walk out with my sunglasses on, trying to control the sobs that came so easily once I was in the car. I knew it was coming. I had taken a 20 minute nap after the shower. I was planning on going to the hospital next. I just wanted to make sure the kids wouldn't starve while I was out, as cold cereal is the food of choice when its hot and mom's not home to make something good. I thought I had a few more days, perhaps. I hoped. I don't know why. I knew when I said good-bye on Wed. it was probably my last time. I KNOW she is happier now than she has been in the last 3 months and probably feels pain-free for the first time in twenty years. I'm just going to miss her the rest of my days. I looked at our Vienna scrapbook last night. Mike thought it would make me cry. It made me smile big. There is Amy, in my favorite picture of her, as we had just gotten off the train in Vienna. Her arms are outstretched wide, ready and eager to take on our adventure, the excitement showing clearly on her face. I'm picturing her arms open wide again, greeting her grandmothers and ready for the next phase of her journey. I just pray I'll find her when I get there someday. Like I did in this life, I'll be looking for her to point me the right way. Until then, I'll never forget her. Forever she will remain in my heart.

No comments: