Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Stuff


The Lord is good to me. He's given me another opportunity to push the pause button in my life and rest. In my stillness, the Lord has been talking to me about STUFF. As I look around my house (and especially down in my basement,) I've realized I don't need as much as I have. I am proving the tithing blessings, that "there shall not be room enough to receive it." (Malachi 3:10)



As General Conference comes around once more and I think back to the messages over the years, "Reduce and Simplify" is one that I cannot forget. I am grateful that regularly the Lord nudges me in the right direction, and I am eagerly looking forward to tomorrow's messages. I am so easily distracted by the "stuff" of my world. Part of the stress I was feeling in August was due to stuff. I NEED to heed more carefully the words of living prophets!



All week long in my scripture study I have been returning to "Lay not up for yourselves treasures on earth where moth and rust doth corrupt, ... but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven... for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also... ye cannot serve God and mammon." (3 Nephi 13:19-24) As I read this, it is a commandment coming directly from the Savior. To see the hypocrisy within myself is painful, admittedly. At the same time, "the truth shall make you free."



Then I read this account of a family who is choosing to serve a mission in Haiti for their church. As the mother talked about what she was learning from her "stuff," it resonated loudly within me. I am grateful I found it. Time for me to make more changes within!

http://allthingshendrick.blogspot.com/2010/08/when-heaven-speaks-through-little-girl.html



And then in the same chapter of 3 Nephi or Matthew 6, I read,
"Consider the lilies of the field how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin...Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, even so will he clothe you, if ye are not of little faith.... Take therefore no thought for the morrow, for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself." Amen.

No comments: