Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Green and Pink Drinks

We took Christmas down on Monday. It felt good to get back to our real life again, though the corner where the tree was is feeling a little bare again. . . contemplating another kind of tree. . . hmmm.

We're on day 20 or 21 of our school Christmas vacation. Longest one we've ever had. School starts Tuesday. We've had some fun days, some relaxing days, some get-things-done days, just the way a vacation should be. I wish I'd had my camera with me today. We were at the library and there were over a hundred ducks sleeping in the parking lot on the back side of the library, their heads all tucked into their feathers. The funny thing was, most of them were between the lines, so it looked like they were literally parking and taking a nap. Then Littlebuddy saw a friend there who showed him where they could get breadcrumbs to feed the ducks, and the boys walked out to the back and suddenly all those sleeping ducks woke up, got up, and began to flock to the boys' feet, at least fifty surrounding each boy. Fortunately, they didn't get upset when the boys ran out of crumbs.  The color of mallard's heads never ceases to impress me, such a rich and gorgeous teal blue these ones were.

Littlebuddy is taller than both his sisters and me. He's in a growth spurt, and you know what that means? He's Hungry! A Lot! If I'd make cookies everyday he'd be quite happy. But today I made Green Smoothies instead, and he liked it. I think better than I did, but I'm going to try a different recipe. The spinach didn't bother me at all, it was all the pulp and fiber from everything else, more than I wanted to drink first thing in the morning. I strained it for him, which is why I think he liked it better. When I find one I love, I'll post it.

I do, however, have a great, easy punch recipe to share. We had it both on Christmas Day and New Year's Eve and everybody loved it. I just made it up while I was at the grocery store, and it worked. It very well may have been invented by someone else before, but I'm not aware of it, so I'm calling this:

                                                               Pink Party Punch

2   2-liter bottles of Cranberry Ginger Ale (can substitute Cherry 7-up, but the ginger ale is better)
1  12-oz can of lemonade concertrate
1 quart of pineapple sherbet

Put the lemonade and sherbet in the punch bowl first. Next, fill up the empty lemonade can with cold water and pour it into the punch bowl. Pour both the bottles of ginger ale in next. It will fill up the punch bowl perfectly and in just a few minutes everything will be frothy on top and starting to mix up well in the bowl. Ladle into cups and serve. Delish and easy.  I think we'll be having this again at Valentine's.




No comments: