Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Habit

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."  - Aristotle

I saw this written on a dry erase board at church today. I wasn't in the room when it was taught, but of every good thing I heard today, this was what I took home in my heart.

I am asking myself, along with thinking of my goals for the year, what habits do I need to practice that I may be more excellent? I think I know what it is the Lord wants me to do. Now to set up the mini-goals that will put that habit easily into my life.

Our bishop challenged us to just pick one area of our lives to work on this year, and when it was part of us, to pick another. Today that hit me that the way to do that is through our habits. Sometimes it means adding a new habit to our lives and other times it means eliminating a habit. Whatever it is, just acting is what creates change. And, sometimes, we're just ready to make changes. When I look at the big changes my children are making I am inspired by them. It should be easier for me to change. I have more experience, but I also have more habits that have been ingrained in me for a long time. Thank goodness the Lord has given me more time to practice!





No comments: