Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

All About Me of the new Century


This morning began the first creative project of the school year - a Culture Collage. (Welcome to 2009 - this would have been called "All About Me" 25 years ago.)
I am loving LittleBuddy's drawings. He divided the extra large construction paper into 4 squares and in the one square he labeled "Music," he drew every instrument we own - including the organ! I loved his viola and cello! Then he wanted something more colorful so we found some stamps to accent all of his squares. He stamped and I punched them into circles and he glued it all together and wrote it all out. My favorite part of the whole project? "Christmas is the day we celebrate the birth of Jesus. Easter is the day we remember the death of Jesus." He shares his faith because it is so much a part of our culture and our family. I LOVE THAT!

I'm just warning you now - this will be a challenging year for me. Little Buddy's last year in elementary. Big Buddy's a senior in high school. A lot of "lasts," a lot of "never agains," and so I'm particularly happy when they are meaningful. The last creative collage of elementary school. Filling out college applications . . .
And, can't someone come up with a more creative way to fill out an emergency card?
I used a return address label instead of writing it all out lots of times and only wish I had a better way. . . every parent of school-age children in the country would appreciate this!
MyGirl also started her sophomore year as a home-schooler. She is anti-photos. Occasionally I get one in that shows her real self. Usually when I'm snapping she's grimacing, turning away from teh camera, and sticking her hands in front of her face. And, I hate to have her remember her always that way, because other than when camera is in hand, she's not like that. SO, suffice it to say, she's off to a good start. Her US History book is big and a little daunting at first glance, but we've allocated so many pages per day and it'll work out fine. I think they were all ready to get back on a more regimented schedule. I know I am.

No comments: