Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Halloween Creations

Last week there were two days off of school. We were busy all day out and about on Thursday, but on Friday and Saturday we wanted to do something for Halloween. These were all MyGirl's ideas to make cupcakes to give to friends and to make a haunted house for us.
Using homemade white frosting and store-bought mini chocolate chips, a package of edible eyes, and a bag of candy corn and pumpkins, this was what we came up with.
Black-eyed Susan in memory of living in Maryland.
Mr. Mummy.
The cyclops eye.
MyGirl found this kit at our local Walmart and begged to have it. It seemed easier to me than making the gingerbread and cutting it just the right size and making purple and orange frostings, and it was. I did nothing.  While I did laundry, Littlebuddy helped her and they were very proud of their creation. They placed it downstairs where they can see it every morning when they get up. We have five good sized pumpkins sitting in front of our fireplace. This Saturday the plan is for the kids to carve them all. I'm sure it will be a messy and exciting time for everyone. . . will post pictures later.
Our fall has been long and gorgeous, beautiful weather, beautiful sunsets, beautiful trees, and beautiful skies until today.
The first snowfall of the year. Not even a full inch. We're expecting more this evening. It should be back to the fifties by Sunday. Truly I do love our weather here.

I also wanted to mention some great reads I've read in October. My mother loaned me two of these. Between airplanes and doctors appointments I've had more time lately to spend in one of my favorite past times. I started with Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. To get a glimpse into one man's extraordinary life from being an Olympic athlete and meeting Hitler to being an emaciated prisoner of war was both inspiring and humbling. I would highly recommend it not only for the great historical details (I learned a lot) but also for the gripping way the author helps us to sense this man's heart and fighting spirit as well as his demons and struggles. Mr. Zamperini also showed amazing creativity along the way and I was again reminded that creativity keeps us both sane and helps push us forward.

Next, was The Cross-Country Quilters by Jennifer Chiaverini.  I picked this up in Branson on the dollar rack at a bookstore Mike and I visited. I've read a couple of her books and always enjoyed them. This is a novel, about a group of quilters who come together at a retreat in Pennsylvania and then go back home and how their lives are still intertwined and inspired by one another as they face their own trials or troubled pasts. Its an easier read than the one above, and certainly less gripping, but I enjoyed it still, recognizing that women everywhere who share their hobbies find ways to connect on emotional and real levels, because we are women first and creative crafters second. I like that it showed that true friendships often come about because of our hobbies. There's also a love story woven in that stays G rated throughout. I always appreciate that.

Last was a Mary Higgins Clark book, The Shadow of Your Smile. This was another fast read, a novel, perfect for doctor's appointments and the first one by I've read by this author, though I know she's immensely popular. What I enjoyed most about this book was its genealogy emphasis and strong women characters. Its also a little bit of a mystery, but not a major whodunit, by any means. I liked the messages running through it of compassion as an inherited quality, and not being too quick to judge another, as well as the power of prayer and what does it really mean to be a Saint? However, there were too many coincidences to be believable, especially in a big city like New York, and I thought some of the characters were no more than caricatures. Still, it was G rated with a love story throw in again. It felt like watching a Hallmark movie, and that's not all bad.

No comments: