Pages

Friday, November 16, 2012

Recent Recipes

We recently made recipe books at Relief Society. I didn't realize how much I would like this, until I realized that whenever I was printing a recipe from the web, it was ending up in a manila folder. This is SOOOO much better! Now I just slide this in top loaders. Easy!

 As MyGirl and I were going through all my recipes not already in books, discarding what I don't want anymore or keeping what we really loved, we came upon this one, sent from our Maryland realtor on a business postcard. She made it and it turned out wonderfully! Pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling! What's not to like?
I've also been doing plenty of cooking this week.  Comfort food to be exact. I do have a lot of healthy recipes, but this week wasn't one of those kind of weeks. I think because its Fall and the weather's getting cooler and I just wanted to make things everyone would like, since I was often cooking for more than just our family. Here are some recipes I want to remember, that I had "scribbled on the back of this or that." What I really need to do is put them in my new recipe book. Printing them out from here . . . that's next.

This first recipe is my own meatball recipe, but the sauce is an adaptation of Pioneer Woman's.

Meatballs
     3 lb. hamburger
      2/3 cup finely diced onion
      2/3 cup finely diced peppers ( I used yellow and orange baby ones - green and red are good too.)
      1 cup Italian bread crumbs
      1/2 cup ketchup
      2 eggs
       1 tsp. salt
       1/4 tsp. pepper
Red Sauce (double for 3 lbs. meatballs, this much is enough for 1 1/2 lbs.)
       1 cup ketchup
        2 T. sugar
        2 T. worcestershire
        2 1/2 T. white vinegar
        1/4 tsp. onion powder
        a few shakes of Tabasco

Mix the meatballs well with your hands and form into balls the size of ping pong balls. (Because I was giving half of them away I made the full 3 lbs. worth. For just my family, I cut the meatball recipe in half.) Put them into 2  9 x 13 baking dishes with edges. Each pan makes close to 30. Next mix up the Red Sauce. Pour this all over the raw meatballs, turning the meatballs to make sure they are covered.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, uncovered. YUM!

LittleBuddy needed a Mixture recipe for Science, so we made one of our favorites! His teacher requested the recipe.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup pumpkin
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup chocolate chips

(I adapted this to high altitude cooking. I decreased both the baking powder and soda to 1/2 tsp. I increased the flour to 2 3/4 cups and increased the baking temperature to 375. I often double this also.)

If you're not at 7000 ft., use the listed ingredients.
Cream butter and sugar together. Beat in egg, vanilla and pumpkin next. Stir all the dry ingredients together and mix with the wet ingredients just until uniform. Add the chocolate chips last. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.

Quiche

1 unbaked pie crust
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups half and half
1/4 cup green onions, sliced
1 1/2 cups Mexican cheddar cheese blend
leftover ham or lunchmeat ham (I used six slices - what was on hand)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Whisk the eggs and half and half and seasoning together. Mix the remaining ingredients in gently and pour into a pie plate lined with pie crust.

Bake at 400 for 40- 45 minutes.

Chicken Parmesan

4 chicken breasts, sliced thin
1 stick butter, melted, in a cereal bowl
Mix the following ingredients in a pie plate together:
2/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Place each piece of chicken first in a bowl of butter, coating on all sides, then into the bread crumb mixture, and then onto a Silpat on a jelly rolls 10 x 15 pan. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until done.

Chicken Curry - This is an adaptation of several different curry recipes and my children all loved it.

2 chicken breasts, cut into bit size pieces
4 T. butter
1 large garlic clove, crushed
1/2 onion, chopped
1/3 c. flour
2 tsp. yellow curry powder
2 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup green tomatillo salsa
dash of ginger
1/2  sweet apple, peeled and chopped into small pieces
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1/8 tsp. black pepper
salt to taste

3 cups cooked rice

Condiments:
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup shredded toasted coconut
4 pieces crisply fried bacon, broken up
3 thinly sliced green onions

Brown meat in butter in a large skillet. Remove from pan. Into the same pan, add garlic and onion and cook 5 minutes. Add flour and curry. Cook 3 minutes longer. Add water and cook,  stirring constantly  until mixture thickens. Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring regularly. (At this point I cook the rice.) Salt as needed when finished. We mix the chicken curry with the rice and sprinkle condiments over top on our individual plates. Will definitely make this again.


















No comments: