Pages

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Wave on Wave - A Quilt

I did finish this quilt on time and gave it to my daughter for her 20th birthday. She loves it!
I titled it "Wave on Wave," partially because the quilting is done in a random wave pattern all over, and partially because of the lyrics to the country song that popped into my head as soon as I thought about what to name it. The phrase, "was I the one you were sent to save?" just seemed to be appropriate at this time for my daughter and me. She is doing well right now. Really well, and I'm so grateful for all the good choices she is making for her life. Nevertheless, it was a harrowing last few years, and to see her overcome and literally be saved, just makes me so incredibly relieved and joyful. I continue to pray that she will stay on this path forever. Parenting truly is the hardest and the best job in the world!

The quilt itself measures 56 x 66. She keeps it at the foot of her bed and then pulls it up at night when she gets cold.  Here is an up close look at the big patterned print we used, in her favorite color combo of blue and brown.

This print was the other multi-colored if you don't count the tone-on-tones or the polka dot. I really did love helping her to pick out the right color combos that would work together. There are a myriad of blues and browns out there, so it helped that we bought them all at the same place where we could put them next to each other and audition them all until we found the right ones. 

Each of the rectangles is either 4 x 6 or 10 x 6 and each of the sashings is 2 inches. Its not a true white but more of a soft stone white and seems to work best with the fabrics we have.
For the back I bought 4 yards to include that plus at least a fat quarter's worth that I used for the rectangles.The binding I bought a yard so I could use it for rectangles also and I have leftovers of both fabrics. (Thus a good reason to buy a pattern since you don't know exactly how much you need when you're making it up and math isn't your best subject.) What I don't have any leftovers of are the patterned rectangles and very little of the sashings. I believe I used 1 1/2 yards (but it may have been 2 - sorry I really don't remember) for the sashing, and fat quarters or quarter yards for the rectangles. 

 We used the print above for the rectangles and also the binding. This was one of my smoother experiences with binding. I machine sew it onto the quilt then I hand sew it to the back. I squared it all up before I put the binding on and got it right. Hallelujah!
 This kind of shows the various colors together. The hardest one to quilt on was the polka dot - really hard to see the white stitching on that. Above you can see the all brown back that she wanted, with the white stitching. It was kind of intimidating at first, as I knew it was going to show a little too well, for my make-up-as-you-go-free-motion-wave. Then I had a tension problem, and bless my mother, who helped me pick out about a third of the whole thing on the back. . . really she is the best kind of saint! She saves me all the time! And of course, it wouldn't be me if there wasn't at least one major issue to mess up on and learn from, but that apparently is how I roll and I just expect something with each project so it doesn't deter me from finishing.  I do have to say, though, that overall it looks good, and MyGirl loves it, says its warm to sleep with, which is what she wanted, and she knows it was made with love just for her and that's what makes it special after all.

No comments: