Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tennessee




It was a such a dash to get ready for this trip with ward boundary changes and meeting many of the new families all in the days preceeding the trip, that I forgot some things I only need on a trip - like my camera battery recharger. So, my photos are limited. Fortunately Mike brought along his camera too so we could remember our outing to see an actual replica of the Parthenon. Did you know Nashville is referred to as the "Athens of the South," for all its universities? I also missed photos of the largest civil war graveyard, right in Franklin. Another day we walked downtown where the Ryman Auditorium and all the record stores and honky tonk bars and music clubs were. It certainly had a country feel to it, and those Southern accents we heard everywhere really made us feel right at home. I loved the many brick homes we saw, and especially Rob and Becki's new home. It's beautiful and modern and comfy and homey. What great hosts they were and what fun we had with everyone!!!

Wouldn't be a trip to the Nashville area without some country music influence, would it? My mom loved seeing a Minnie-Pearl impersonator. She was pretty cute!


MyMike doing the dishes after many a meal. This was Thanksgving. He doesn't cook, but boy, can he clean. He also did 95% of the driving there and back, and had such a good time the whole week. We played a lot of games and relaxed. Life is good.

One of the funnest parts of our trip was all the laughs and smiles. This is Brett doing some Karaoke. He and Eric both sang "Play That Funky Music White Boy." What fun! and then I sang too. Note that Brett is covering his eyes - he just can't stand it! Really, we all just cracked each other up so much, I asked Ryan if his mouth hurt from smiling so much, and he admitted it did. I don't think I've heard him so happy for so many days in a row. . . the joy of cousins and being able to all be silly together!

My brother, Rob, and my parents around the kitchen table. Do you see the chalkboard on the left? Becki made that and would write inspiring quotes on it. What a neat idea! I am inspired by her creativity! Wait til I show you what she made for us for Christmas in a future post! She's amazing, and a terrific cook too. Rob is lucky to be fed so well. We all ate so much and loved every bite. I came back with several new recipes which are Must Makes from now on, like Sweet Potatoes roasted with cinnamon sticks and maple syrup - YUM!! And homemade focaccia that can be made in twenty minutes - Super YUM!

This is one of my favorite photos of the week . . . this is why we came, to be together - generations, far-away cousins. . .it was all good! And, at the Opry Shop behind them, I picked up a "Grand Old Opry" guitar pick for a buck; my bargain of the trip, only barely beating my $2.99 "Nashville Fiddler" CD of awesome musicians performing classics of folk music. A little bargain shopping is a must!

The girls. . . in a home where 13 stayed, only 4 of us were girls. We love each other dearly and relished each and every moment of togetherness.

The big boys ... Adam and Steven both were working on their BYU-Idaho applications this week, hoping to be roommates next year. Matthew is a car guy and plays piano too. These are all GREAT kids!

A highlight was going to the temple in Franklin. Its literally less than ten minutes from my brother's house. I think its the smallest temple I've ever been in, but the spirit was the same and it felt familiar quickly. It was only open for two sessions the day we went. It seemed the best way to show my gratitude on this Thanksgiving holiday for the tremendous blessings of eternal families. And it was more special to be there with Mike, my parents, and Rob and Becki. We took our children there the first day we were touring around, so they could walk around and feel the spirit there too.


MyGirl in front of Miley Cyrus' farm. Shortly after we got there a truck pulled up and we hoped it was Billy Ray, but it wasn't. She was home. . . later spied at the Franklin Walmart, according to my brother, who shopped there the next day. We know we were on surveillance when another minute later, another car pulled up and told us we had to leave. Not that we're all that into Hannah Montana, but when in Franklin, TN, you gotta see the locals. We ate dinner on Friday at the "Bar-B-Cutie" which was better than Famous Dave's, and as I'm looking around I spot a guitar and photo signed by Diamond Rio. This is a small restaurant. In fact, when we got there, we had the place to ourselves. In Nashville, its just a small world when it comes to music moguls!

No comments: