Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Teenagers

I woke up on Wednesday and just knew it day was going to be a good day. Look at the gorgeous sky I woke up to.
As the moon went behind the mountains and the sun slowly rose I had already had my first deep conversation of the day.
 LittleBuddy has taken to getting himself up around 5 and by a little after six he's getting bored and wants to chat. I don't dare not listen. All teenagers that like to chat with me have my attention. I love teenagers. Yes, they have their moments, but overall they are an intelligent, interesting, often amusing, sometimes angst-filled and sweet group. At least the ones I know. I know there are other kinds, and I still like them. I just don't always understand them.
However, this day's conversations were a little more nostalgic because it was his birthday. He's officially a teenager. Wow! Those thirteen years just flew! While he was away at school and basketball practice, MyGirl and I set everything up for his party when he got home.
I decided to create a birthday banner that we can reuse from now on. I went with a bright color and polka dot theme. MyMike had the good idea to hang it at the top of the blinds in the dining room, perfect since we have birthday dinners at the dining room table. You can see the sun's setting as we are ready to sit down.
Here's a close-up. I laminated it at my mom's. This was made exclusively with the Art Philosophy Cricut cartridge and CTMH cardstock. I'm all about using what's on hand this year. Love that scalloped pennant shape! Scallops were created at 8 3/4". The bright colored pennats were 8" and I could get two to a page.
We were blessed that MyMike had jury duty that day so he was home at 2:30 instead of his usual 7-8pm. The Lord blesses us in the little and big ways. Grandparents came over too, and we had his favorite meal of beef stroganoff.
For his birthday cake he wanted a German Chocolate Ice Cream Cake. It held together better than I thought would happen when I first took the round layer cakes out of the pan, but the frosting was too heavy to run down the side, so it was more like a bunch of layers. Still, it tasted delicious and he loved his presents.
The next morning, though, he was up at 5 again, and back on my bed to have our 6 am chat. Our conversations revolve around his life and concerns and commentary. I love this time he's carved out for us, (how his dad sleeps through it I'll never know) but I can see that I'm going to have to start going to bed earlier so I can stay coherent the rest of the day. Life as a mother of a teenager - always in a state of adjustment :-)

No comments: