Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Love and Treats

 It was so fun having Cowgirl here to celebrate her brother's birthday weekend. She is such a great big sister.
 LittleBuddy had specific requests for food this year. Instead of cake he wanted LemonFillingCheeseCake with cherries on top. I didn't really know what that recipe was, so I improvised. It was all yummy! Because of my soy issues, I also made the crust but it would be wonderful on a graham cracker crust also.  Here is the recipe.

Lemon Filling Cheese Cake
      Crust:
           1 cup flour
           1 stick butter
           1/4 cup brown sugar
                  Mix all together and spread out on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 15 - 20 minutes, until golden brown. Break it up into pieces after a few minutes, to let it bake evenly. Let cool.
       Cheese Pie:
           1 8 oz. package light cream cheese, softened
           1 can sweetened condensed milk
           1 tsp. vanilla
           1/3 cup lemon juice
                      Mix all together in the order given in a mixer until it begins to thicken.
       Cherry Sauce:
            1 1/2 cups frozen cherries
             1/2 cup white sugar
             1/4 cup water
                       Let heat on stove top until it comes to a boil. Let it simmer for 10 minutes. Cool in refrigerator until ready to serve.    

To assemble, press cooled crust into a glass round pie plate. Spoon out a can of lemon pie filling over the crust, making sure it spreads to the sides. Pour cheese pie ingredients over the pie filling. Let sit in refrigerator at least a couple of hours. Overnight is best. Add whipped cream and cherries when ready to serve. Serves 6 large pieces or 8 smaller pieces. (We made 2 pies as we had seven of us there, and I knew Littlebuddy would want seconds.)


 These cute treat jars, filled with peanut butter M&M's, I bought  from a Close To My Heart special offered in January. Cowgirl and I both had the kits, so we stamped and created the morning before she left. They are going to friends and family. The kits made 12. Fun, easy, creative, cute. . . love it! I think my favorite part was the silver glitter paper adding a little sparkle. Any clear tube could be dressed up for a fun treat idea.
Last Thursday night, Mom and I were in charge of treats for our quilt guild. We chose a Valentines theme, and each brought different things. I made frosted heart-shaped sugar cookies, and brought chips and salsa and a veggie platter and this dip. I was asked for the recipe to go into our newsletter, so I guess it was a hit. I love it! At home I serve it with veggies or one of my favorites - Stacy's Pita Chips - simply naked, letting the dip be the highlight here.

Ina Garten's Sun-Dried Tomato Dip (adapted)
        1 8oz, brick light cream cheese
        1/3 cup olive oil mayo
        1/3 cup light sour cream
        1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
              (Mine were dehydrated, so I soaked them in boiling water for ten minutes and let cool.)
        1 tsp. salt
        3/4 tsp. black pepper
        10 drops Tabasco sauce
         2 green onions, finely diced

Mix all together in food processor. Serve at room temperature. Refrigerate any leftovers.

No comments: