Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Country Living

Woke up this morning to snow on the ground
And fog covering the neighborhood. It didn't seem to bother the steers who we see so often its like they live in our backyard, although they don't come past the fence which is a little ways behind our house.
Just two days I ago I took these photos around dinnertime, as the cattle were moving through our part of the neighborhood again. We've had gorgeous 70 and 80 degree weather for days. BigBuddy and MyGirl were out flying kites at the park down the street and we've been working on getting the ground ready for our garden. Glad we didn't plant yet!
Most of the cattle are black except for the one brown one who is always with them. I can't tell you how many times I've looked over at them and said in my head, "How now brown cow?"
I talk to myself a lot. It's just the way I am :-)
They move much quicker than you'd think for animals that are quite large. We've even seen them run more than once. They are almost in continual motion as far as I can tell. They eat a little here, move a few feet, eat a little there, take seven more steps, and within a matter of minutes we don't see them anymore. Then a few hours later they're back.

They live on the Higby Ranch, that has been here for a long time. We like backing on to it, but between us and the ranch is preservation space, with a creek going through it. Apparently, its off limits to builders because of the endangered mice that live in our neighborhood. They are definitely in danger when they come into my home. MyMike's got so many traps up in the storage room I have to watch where I walk, but the good news is, after he caught SIX in the first few days of setting them up, we haven't seen any. Good Riddance!
I much prefer the beautiful tulips and aspen trees that are starting to bloom.
Or the birds that zoom from my neighbor's bird feeders up to the clouds to enjoy the breezes.
I know I live in a suburban neighborhood, with houses lined up in a row, but whatever you call this behind us; the meadow, the field, the preservation space, the ranch, I love it. It brings new meaning to the phrase, "when the cows come home." There's just something about watching nature in action that puts everything into perspective for me and makes me feel at peace. Home Sweet Home.

No comments: