Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Norman Rockwell

Yesterday I was trying to add something to the bottom of my blog, but I couldn't figure it out . . . really! It's just embarrassing how UNtechnical I am. But, in the process I stumbled upon "Norman Rockwell Photos of the Day." Its at the bottom of my blog. Wish I could size it just to fit the photo, but you know. . . .

Back in high school, I started collecting books of his and calendars. Then I kind of forgot about him for twenty plus years, and over Christmas time I stumbled upon the "Normal Rockwell Christmas Book." Looking through the paintings more as an adult, it just hit me why I like him so much still to this day. He painted real life - black-and-blue-eyes, loving grandmas, gawky teenagers and all. My scrapbooks are my real life paintings. We have pictures of broken bones and close-ups of when we just woke up. I have more than one of "the look" as only a teenager can give, and my children vacuuming up/playing with/touching bugs. We also have photos that I am sure are deja vu experiences for me, so immediately were they etched on my mind and heart, and I recognized "this is that." There are events and holidays and visits from relatives aplenty, but there are also kids sitting in the car, or reading a book or making brownies. There are smiles better than I ever would have hoped to be able to capture on film as an amateur photographer and glimpses into their personalities that I didn't know I captured, but somehow the picture found it.

Even though Norman Rockwell's world was a lot different from mine, from decade to location, I recognize the truth and the humor in what he portrayed. It was his world, and he shared it with us, because that was his truth. I know my pages capture truth, and humor in my world too. I love looking back and knowing sometimes we were dull, sometimes we were hysterical, but whatever we were, we were US. This is OUR life, and its a memory easily relived again and again in a scrapbook. Journaling is important to me too. When I visited my grandma before she passed away I can still remember one of the most tender moments in my life - knowing it was really the Last time I would see her in this life, because I came home and wrote it all down. I'm glad there are pictures of me next to her, but it was the reality that I WAS THERE and this is what I experienced that means the most to me. My pages of that day aren't my "best work," but they are my truest feelings, and capture a moment I want to never forget. Sometimes our emotions affect how we create. That's part of my reality too. The moments in life that Mr. Rockwell has captured tell a story of a little second of a reality he knew and I'm glad he's left his work to share and inspire me.

No comments: