Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Good Books

In March I started reading the Porter Rockwell Chronicles. There are four books to the series. I think I may have mentioned them before. I finished them when Littlebuddy got his braces on the end of May. In the past month, apparently I have a lot of dentist/doctor's appointments to drive to, because that's mostly when I read.

I've just finished The Undaunted, by Gerald Lund, about the Hole in the Rock pioneers. It was fun to see their story in some detail in the Ensign this month too, but nothing like reading the book. I loved it! So inspired by it! With MyGirl getting ready for Trek in three weeks, we are talking and thinking a lot about pioneers these days.

On Friday, MyGirl got her New set of braces on. Isn't that sad that she had to be just like her mother and after already wearing them for two and a half years, get a new set? I feel her pain. Hopefully these will be off earlier than mine were! So, I had to grab a new book for the hour plus appointment. I am so glad I reached for Unlikely Heroes by Ron Carter.

I met Bro. Carter when he was the guest speaker at our Stake Youth Conference, and I was assigned to "take care of him, whatever he needs." It was a lovely opportunity to pick up he and his wife every day at their hotel, introduce them before they were to speak, and spend time with them as we toured Washington D.C. with the youth, make sure they were comfortable, etc. He shared some great stories how ordinary people influenced the Revolutionary War. On the bus rides back and forth he had many stories to share with me and those sitting close enough to hear. I was a totally captive audience. I encouraged him to compile them in a book, and he did. Since that time, sadly he has passed away.

I HIGHLY recommend this book. It is a goldmine of inspiration and appreciation not just because of the acts of courageous human beings but, very clearly to me, is more evidence of the handiwork of a loving Heavenly Father who watches even the smallest details. When needed he takes care of what no one else can, like having the clouds cover a full moon, or sending a person in your path that you already know and trust, when you are acting as a spy trying to get confidential information to General Washington. . . seriously cool things. And, my love for George Washington continues to grow. Someday I hope to be able to thank him, inadequate as it may be. I am on page 140 and eagerly looking forward to a Tues. morning Dr. appt. to finish it.

Tomorrow our little town is having a parade and maybe fireworks. I'm excited! My first time living in a place with a hometown parade. The bishop even announced it from the pulpit, for all of us new families to know about, but we had already found out about at the hair salon. Little towns are great! The community is also holding a street fair afterwards until 3 pm. Then everyone is encouraged to go home and grill, because the fireworks start over the lake at 9:30. I can't wait!

Happy Independence Day weekend! Thank you to all those who serve our country willingly and unselfishly! You are a blessing to us all.

And, no mission call yet - 19 days and waiting. We stalked the mailman yesterday. . . "he's at the mailbox across the street, he just turned up the cul-de-sac," it was so sad when it wasn't there. Hoping for Tuesday. That will be 21 days from when we first turned it in, and a week since it was sent. We're only across the Rocky Mountains. Maybe the mailman took the scenic route??? Paddling upstream over the gorge?? Wanted to hike a fourteener with his mail pouch on his back?? We've verified the address is correct, zip, everything. Another test of patience. . . . Time to go find my book!

No comments: