Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Slow Gardening

After moving this winter, when Spring came I was about "projected" out. But, I knew I needed to start a garden, and so slowly and with much help from my older two children, I did.
The lighting is better in the photo below, but you see the whole long row better above. We planted everything - 4 tomatoes, 1 bell pepper, 3 green beans, 2 zucchini, 1 basil, and 1 oregano Memorial Day Weekend, because we'd had frost on the ground earlier in the week.

However, this picture was taken on Aug. 15, and look at how small my tomatoes are!! You can see them on the far right. On the far left is the zucchini plant. The only other plants that survived were 1 green bean, and the basil.
So far our net harvest have only been these three zucchini and a few basil leaves. Not feeling too successful. I hear there's a woman about ten minutes away who is an expert for this area. I guess I have to go visit with her this winter, because I clearly don't have the knowledge I need to succeed, or is it the motivation? Oh well, we had the middle zucchini last night for dinner and it was tasty.
And, did you notice our grass? MyMike spread seeds over it and we've watered it regularly, and still it's patchy and sad. At least he got the dandelions out. We've much to learn about gardening in mountain climates. . . slowly but surely.

No comments: