Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Balancing Act

Today I finally got to the 25 lb. box of peaches sitting on my dining room table. I canned these 6 qts. then froze another 6 qt. in freezer bags to be used for smoothies, and 8 of them had already been eaten. I'd had these since last weekend. Today was a presidency meeting and homeschooling, but I knew I finally had all afternoon free for a project of my choosing. Even though my life is pretty simple, it still manages to fill up most of my time. And, in homeschooling today, MyGirl was taking her Algebra test, so she wouldn't need my help like she normally does. My neighbor was selling these for a fundraiser. Straight from Paradise, Colorado, they are delicious, or so I'm told. My mouth feels like its on fire when I eat raw peaches, so I eat them cooked or canned, like in cobblers and pies, you know the most fattening way possible. And I'm looking forward to that! Littlebuddy is looking forward to his breakfast smoothie tomorrow morning.
Over the past month I've been working on some scrapbooking pages from earlier this summer. This one I worked on the better part of the whole week Cowgirl was here. It took me a long time to select the colors and accents, and I got sidetracked making some cards too. I used the Cricut Art Philosophy cartridge here and I loved how easy it was to make the sun, the bird, and the branch. These are among my favorite photos I took of my children this summer.
How many pictures do you think are on these two pages?
19, which is how many of us were at the family reunion this summer. Take a look below to see how I did it.
The twill is holding two cut outs from a page protector with 6 (4 x 6) pocket holders. I carefully cut right down the middle so each side would have three pockets vertically, and I cut off the three ring holes normally used in a page protector. Gluing down the bottom of each pocket, I was able to get five pictures in each one, three on one side and two on the other. In my scrapbook I've cut out an opening the size of both of those so it is easy to interact with the page.
Here's another way to get more pages in, using Flip Flaps. They are designed to fit 4 x 6 pictures, but they worked fine for my 3 1/2 x 5 ones too. I make little tabs for them, here using half cut circles so its easier to turn the flaps.
This page uses the negative space from a Cricut cut out. The green swirly along the bottom was sponged in green ink to give a fluid movement to the page, but kept lighter, and low-key. In all my pages I am trying to have your eye focus on the photos, and not all the embellishing. However, I like to make them look beautiful too, so there's a balancing act going on here too.
Last Saturday I went to a crop with the Close To My Heart ladies and the Creative Memories ladies. They all meet together at the Catholic church, but I think only two of them are Catholic. Half of them are school teachers and they all work except for the leader, who sells for two different companies, volunteers for the Starlight Foundation in a big way, and has four children of her own. When I go there, I am reminded how simple my life is, and I truly like it that way!
The two photos below the kraft cardstock, on the right page, actually both open out to reveal two more pictures underneath each of those two photos, giving me six photos where it looks like only two. I'm really liking this methodology. Close To My Heart sells a book called "Magic," which most of these ideas are either inspired or copied from. I made this page when I was with the ladies on Sat.
Then I got to work on another project which I can't show you until Christmas, but here is a sneak peak of half of the holly leaves I had cut with the Cricut before I came, then stamped while I was there. The ladies all thought I was a little crazy for starting a Christmas project in early Sept., but since Christmas will be celebrated early this year at our house, I've got a lot to do in a short amount of time. And, fortunately, my life is pretty simple so I can squeeze this in whenever I have a little time.

However, last night a mother sent me a four page list of all the items you need to send with your son when he goes to Brazil. I'm going to have to put this project on hold for a while and get some more mission shopping done. I hadn't thought of things like a mattress cover, thinking he'd be on hammocks most of the time, but apparently he'll be in both, and the mattresses are shared and aren't changed regularly in the equatorial climate, so I can see how this would be a good thing. I'm hoping I'll have time to finish this project by the end of the month, but if not, it'll be okay. My favorite reason not to procrastinate is not to have the stress that comes from hoping you'll make the deadline. Knowing there's plenty of time, helps me to stay less stressed, and I always need that!

No comments: