Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Looking Back

Looking back on past September 11ths, and feeling the need to count my blessings.
These are all pictures from past Septembers. So much has changed in ten years. I didn't have a digital camera until 2003, so I don't have any photos from that actual day to share, but I remember it well.

2001 - It was such a beautiful day on the East coast. I came back from the bus stop that morning and turned on the news. The first tower had just been hit, and the commentators were talking about that when I watched the second tower get hit. Immediately I knew this was not an accident. Later, I wrote in my scrapbook that in spite of all the tragedy, our little family was safe and well, gathered at home, for which I was (and am) most grateful. I still ache for all the families who lost their loved ones. It was a day of mourning, and still is. I will never forget the prayer Mike uttered that evening, as he prayed not just for the families of those who had been lost that day, but also for the innocent Muslims and all of the children of God throughout the earth who would be effected by the consequences of this day.

I remember an incredible outpouring of faith expressed publicly at that time. Most everyone remembered their religious roots and felt the need to pray and ask the Lord for mercy upon our country. Within months that national feeling dwindled among many, but not among those who believe. Still today, there are those, like the cowboys, who openly express their gratitude and humility before the Lord. My Christian neighbor, who is a consultant for Shelf Reliance because she has felt inspired to be more prepared. To those who look to the Lord, He will continue to guide them. We have had many challenges in the past decade, but I can clearly see that the Lord has blessed us, and I am so grateful for that.
Sept. 2010 - We all have a greater need to be with family. Our sense of what's most important was heightened after 2001. There is also an increased measure of precaution that has permeated society. Traveling is less fun. MyGirl wouldn't fly home on Sept. 11 last year, so we came home on the 12th.

Sept. 2007 - I see the light that shines in the eyes of my children and I know that in spite of the evil in this world, goodness prevails. The Lord has saved some of His most righteous for the last days because they have the faith and willingness to follow the Lord no matter what. We visited Pearl Harbor this year. We felt the same sense of loss but also the same desires to continue forward, rebuilding, living, loving, and standing for righteousness wherever we are.
Sept. 2006 - The sweetness of children is one thing I most wanted to preserve on Sept. 11, 2001. I remember how important it was for me to keep the youngest ones from seeing the TV images which were so horrific. I was so sad for them to have to grow up in a world that would do such horrible things, but as I see how they have grown up to be wiser and less innocent than I was at their age, but still good, caring, loving, sweet children I am most grateful for the rhythm of life that carries us forward, propels us to grow and carry within our hearts a hope for the future. We have taken our children to Gettysburg, to Arlington, and to Valley Forge. I hope we have instilled within them the sacredness of life, and that the cost of freedom is only guaranteed when people stand up to those who would destroy it. My children are my hope for the future. In spite of the hard things that we experience, the tragedies that have happened and still may occur, I have hope for them that they will have the strength to carry on, trust in the Lord's love for each of them, and be part of the force for good that will continue to stand firm and undaunted for truth and liberty all of their lives.

No comments: