Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Sweetness

Before I write another post about girl stuff, I had to include this recent pic of LittleBuddy, my middleschooler. Love this boy so much!!! And those eyes, they're going to be melting a few hearts in the near future, I'm sure. He's a great youngest son, easy and engaging and sweet, with just a little bit of attitude every once in a while to remind me he's a normal pre-teen. Five months from now I will have three teenagers again.
Last night was our YW in Excellence for our ward. The theme was "Think Pink." It was the same theme our ward in MD had done a couple of years ago for a New Beginning. I'd shared ideas from that with the committee and they decided to go with the same theme, but of course they made it unique to this ward, and it was wonderful! Loved the tissue paper decorations hanging from the ceiling in bright pink.
The display on the middle of this table is MyGirl's project - her Mission Organization project for Choice and Accountability, which is why we put it on orange paper.
Here is MyGirl with some of the other Laurels. You can't tell in this photo, but almost all of the girls wore pink. The girl in the black shirt has on a pink skirt. There was lots of white and pink and black and it was so cute. My favorite was when they all went up to sing and sounded like angels, really. It was tear-inducing, which my daughter always has to comment on afterwards, but at least she's used to it by now.
Another fun twist, was their food selection. They had a chocolate fountain. The girls loved it. Their siblings loved it. Even the parents loved it. The Deacons especially loved it. There were fun things to dip like Rice Krispie treats, pound cake, bananas, apples, marshmallows and pretzels and a perennial favorite, pink lemonade to drink. . . . sweet!

There was a great spirit there. It was wonderful to be able to celebrate the girls and celebrate being a girl.
The Laurel President who was in charge made a wonderful handout for the girls that I thought was so clever and tied into the theme so perfectly. These are post-it holders, with little post-it notes inside. Although she has already earned her medallion, she said that sometimes some of the things to be accomplished had to be done everyday. You had to remind yourself to keep thinking about it and doing it, and so after starting over a few times she put post-it notes all over the place, in her room, on her phone, on the bathroom mirror, etc. so she wouldn't forget. She told us when we are thinking about making progress then we will. What a great idea and one we will be using at our house to finish off the last few goals MyGirl has left.


This is a picture of Kayli, the Laurel president, and Wendi, her mother. How young does she look too?? She's only a couple of years younger than I am, and looks about ten years younger. I could say I'm jealous, but I'm not. I just adore her. She is a faithful woman and gives, gives, gives. She is sweet even when others aren't sweet to her. I am learning from her and she has become my closest friend since moving here. I love that there are good women wherever I live.

No comments: