Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Corn Maze or Not

Last week when Cowgirl was here we all wanted to go to the Corn Maze. Our first plan was to go when she arrived, but since it was white out conditions that day, we opted to wait until the last day she was here, since it was on the way to the airport. It was a lovely 72 degrees.
This corn maze was pretty big and not as easy to navigate as the last one we went to in Maryland, so that was good for my growing children.
LittleBuddy still qualifies for a free pumpkin with admission. Sadly, they were already picked. Its definitely more fun to pick your own when they're still on the vine. But, he found one he liked. MyGirl found a little bitty one for her decorating. We also went on a hayride pulled by this tractor. It was very informative.
MyGirl really liked the animals. She had fun petting this little piggy. The last time I touched one, back in probably the year 2000 it was on the lips, courtesy of Cowgirl volunteering me for the "fun." SOOO GROSS! I still have the taste of pig and pretzel (which I held in my mouth) whenever I get near them. I've tried to avoid them since.
There were actually three mazes at this farm. The other two were a hay bale maze and a snake maze. The boys jumped over the hay bales, because walking would be no fun if you can see where you're going. Then there was a snake maze, which was black plastic over the hay bales . . . also deemed somewhat lame.

Fortunately, the real corn maze was a lot of fun, but I don't know if it can really be called a corn maze. Do you see any corn on these stalks? No, of course you don't, because its not corn. These are all corn-less stalks, which are called sorghum. I learned something new that day. Why grow sorghum? The farmer said, "It makes it a lot less messy when walking in the corn maze." Yes, but didn't he just say . . . ? I try not to be difficult in public, but this thought went through my mind.
There were some surprises, like this spider, the size of one found in a Harry Potter novel, along with several skeletons and scarecrows. A couple looked like they were glow-in-the-dark. . . glad we were here during daylight.
Big and LittleBuddy quickly found their way after a few wrong turns at the beginning. Mygirl was close behind. Notice how nicely paved this row was. Sometimes that was a clue which way we should go, and sometimes it wasn't. It was kind of tricky.
Fortunately, while Cowgirl and I were getting ourselves lost, the boys and MyGirl had already found the center, and were perched on the piles of hay giving us directions. Then we all had to figure out how to get out. LittleBuddy led the way, and knew right where he was going. I'm pretty sure he ran on every single path of the maze at least once. We couldn't follow him, he was running ahead too much, but he enjoyed jumping out at us as we went by, and then whichever way he darted after that, always seemed to be right. How do kids do it? Its fun to have them lead the way and me just enjoy the adventure. I love having older kids. It was a fun activity to do together.

No comments: