Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Happily Winding Down

Its been busy, busy at our house this week. Mike's parents have been here for eight days now. They leave on Tuesday. Fortunately, Mike has been home the whole time, and showed them all the sights around town so I think most of the time it has been a good trip for them. My parents got home from their fun Hawaiian Holiday just in time to pick up some eggs for me on the way home on Wed., and then we all had Thanksgiving at my house! So fun to have so many here!
There was plenty of rolls and bread for leftover turkey sandwiches. My children think rolls are the best part of the Thanksgiving meal after the pies. LittleBuddy could skip everything else and be perfectly happy. For me, the best part is the candy corn. That's what we save for after the meal, where we all share the three things we're most thankful for. There were many tears shed, as we went around the table, in gratitude and humility. The fact we are all still there at the table together this year is a great blessing. Next year we will for sure be missing our missionary, so this year was especially sweet.


Afterwards, my sweet husband always does the dishes. He had helpers, but he does the lion's share of the work. It's the worst because I use the good china and the goldware that all has to be hand-washed. At least I used the goblets that go in the dishwasher. He appreciated that, but he doesn't complain. He also takes care of the turkey leftovers too, cutting, bagging, freezing. . . . Creating in the kitchen is a joy for me because I think of it as a creative endeavor. Its all how you spin it for yourself, you know? However, I know his is the dirty job, and bless his heart for doing it willingly after every big meal I make. He doesn't even care what kind of an apron he uses. He just picked what was in front, which I had been wearing earlier.
Then its time for fun and games. Grandma Jacobs is the chief fun person to play with.
LittleBuddy helped his dad with clean-up. Then he played his favorite computer game. Love that clean kitchen look!

The rest of the adults parked in front of the TV. Pumpkin chucking was highly anticipated, and there were some whoops from the sofas as they were chucked far into the Delaware cornfield. The engineers in the family always like to see what kind of contraption can be concocted and what results they get.


Today we went to the temple. Its been nice for our son to be able to attend with both of his grandparents. The big week is winding down. My younger children have really not spent very much time with these grandparents, so its been good for them to get to know them a little bit better. I even learned some new things this week. Before my father-in-law left for his mission, his bride-to-be insisted that they be engaged before he left. So, they were, and they were married six weeks after he got home. I don't know anyone else that has experienced that, and nowadays it's discouraged, but it is part of our family history. I also learned that my mother-in-law is a direct descendant of John Alden, who married Priscilla, Pilgrims from the original Thanksgiving. That means my children are descendants too, and that was an especially wonderful revelation for the week. No wonder its one of my favorite holidays. Its in our family's blood.

No comments: