Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pirate's Cove

Apparently we have the best neighborhood for Halloween! We didn't know it until we came home from church on Sunday and saw a large black ship at the top of the cul-de-sac. After dinner my dad and son checked it out, and found out that they were expecting about a thousand people. We walked up around 6pm before the sun went down to check it all out. Note the news truck behind the sign with his broadcast antennae sticking up high.
Pretty amazing pirate flags. I'd guess they're about ten feet high. That's the Black Pearl in the background. Its definitely larger than the house. The brown house behind it stands on the hill the next street up. This is one big ship.
There was so much attention to detail it was incredible. I talked to one of the men who owned one of the the three houses who were staging this, and he said the first year it took them a few weeks to put it all together, but now, in their fourth year they've got it down to two days set up. Amazing, really! By the time we left it was dark. Mike and MyGirl sat on the driveway handing out candy while me and Bigbuddy went with LittleBuddy and the neighbors trick or treating. Later we switched out, and they got to go see this amazing creation.
The children who live here were loving their roles.
You Pirates fans will remember the name of this ship, but for now, it escapes me. I'm not good with those kinds of details, but ask me my phone number from 1976 and middle school locker combination, I'm your gal.?!?!?
The kids were in awe at all the props everywhere.
This was the scene lining a driveway.
They also had their own fun interactive areas. The Black Market was where you could play games, get candy, get your fortune read. . . pretty fun for every child who was there.
The orange and black box up on the ship was a CO2 bubble maker - very cool! With the slight breeze last night, the sails were moving and the bubbles were going and the music was playing. . . you get the atmosphere. . . a pretty amazing re-creation!
This was the captain of the black pearl. He proceeded to pretend to pour the bottle down the throat of the skeleton after I took the picture. These guys are all into it, fully costumed, and having fun! My favorite? The sound of the cannon booms and watching the softballs being shot from one ship to the other.

And the next morning, I only picked up seven little pieces of candy or trash from my yard, and three were candy I had given out, which I think got knocked out of their pillowcases as they turned down the driveway. I had bought 1000 pieces of candy. We started at 6:15 handing out and by 8:15 we had used up 800 pieces. The crowds were less solid at this point, every three or four minutes three or four children would come up our driveway. Before it had been non-stop. Think about it, in 120 minutes we gave away 800 pieces of candy - one per child. The last half hour, it was getting chilly, and I was tired, and so I gave out handfuls. I had one last bag left and I saved that for Mike and BigBuddy. They were happy. By 8:45 we were lights off in the house, and I got to see that Vocal Point moved on for another week. What a night! What a memory! We will never look at Halloween the same again. This is the street where Pirate magic happens!

No comments: