Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas 2011

Family . . . the best part of this week was just having our cousins, aunts and uncles, and grandparents all so close. We were all going back and forth from our house to my parents, the boys often without shoes! Every bed in both houses was filled to capacity. Meals were together except for a breakfast and a lunch or two. It really was lovely weather, just a bit chilly, but fun to have a beautiful white Christmas for all our cousins that came from the South and the West Coast.




Snow . . . more than we've seen in Colorado since we moved here. The cousins were making forts, trails, and throwing lots of snowballs. A pair of glasses were lost and found 48 hours later. . . blessings!

Christmas Eve . . . one of the sweetest moments was listening to my mom read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" after my dad read the story from Luke. My nephew paid close attention as Mom read it with drama. A sweet moment. Of course there was a wonderful dinner with poppers and laughter. Good memories!



Christmas morning . . . since we'd already had Christmas morning, this was a let down for my children, watching everyone else get their cool stuff. They got a little stuff, but it wasn't the same. Still, I was glad we weren't at my house in the morning, but at my mom's. With half of my children gone, it was good for me to have lots of other loved ones around to enjoy. It was very sweet of everyone to come to church and hear the choir's musical program. I was one of the accompanists and even had a solo, so it was nice to feel their support. It was also good in the midst of the presents and wrappings, that we could remember the real reason for the season. I was glad we could stop in the middle of the day to worship. Afterwards everyone came to my house for a casual Christmas buffet, with more food than we could all eat. I'm just finishing it finally today! There was Skyping going on with my nephew on a mission and  lots of visiting and playing games. Good to be together with those that were here.

Garden of the God's. . .  our favorite place to take out of town guests. A little snowy on the paths, and more crowded than I've seen even in the summer, but it was good to walk off the big meals and be out in nature after being in the kitchen. The cousins loved being together. Love and miss them all!



My youngest nephew . . . that was the best photo of him I captured all week. Such a cute smile, such a curious, busy boy. Usually with a train in one hand and an airplane in the other, he had the attention of us all. 

Togetherness. . . that was really the best part. Yes, we missed Bigbuddy and Cowgirl, a cousin in Las Vegas and my brother in Australia, but for those that were here, we were together a lot and it was good. We look forward to the day when everyone can be together again. Maybe 2013.
And electronics, . . . Christmas always brings something new in the way of gadgets, even if the final selection wasn't made until after the big day was over. Its a sign of our generation that the best gifts often need chargers.

No comments: