Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

Word Choices

Sometimes the words we use aren't the words we mean. For instance, when I wrote that the best gifts were electronics, that was not the intent. I should have said, sometimes the most anticipated gifts are electronics. In my house that has been true lately, but the best gifts of all, you can't buy. And, as I finish up this holiday season which feels like it started Nov. 19, and has been the longest ever, its been nothing electronic that gave me the most happiness. 

It was being with people I love, getting to know them better, having meaningful conversations, new experiences, serving them, and having fun with them. The togetherness, the love, the sharing, those are the best gifts. Now, don't get me wrong, a good Christmas trifle or a plate of shortbread dipped in Lindt chocolate or Mom's homemade caramels, those are very good things too :-) I think those fall in the category of temporary happiness. . . . 

But the electronics, sometimes, are my least favorite things in the house, because too easily they pull us further apart instead of bringing us closer together. And, that's the challenge of the modern age we live in, to stay connected in real ways, using the electronics to bless our lives and not be the ends in and of themselves. They are tools that can make life easier, but they don't really bring true joy. However, as I've contemplated this blog, I realized that it brings me joy because it allows me to connect with those I love that live far away. And, you know what? I miss you. I miss making those real life connections more often, so I'm not all anti-electronics, but you know it would be Better and even the Best if you were here or I was there!

I'm grateful this holiday season for the joy I have felt. There were sad moments, hard days, and frustrations, like any real life, but to know that the Savior's power is real and that He can change hearts and lives, and bring us back to Him, that is the greatest joy. And I am reminded regularly how much I NEED HIM. Really, that is the greatest gift, that His Spirit can always be with us.  

I have a big project I've been working on for a couple of months which I'm excited to share, because its going to make 2012 a lot easier for me. I'll post them soon. I also have a number of other creative projects I need to photograph still. Some I've already given away, but hopefully I can get the rest online here in the near future. If I miss tomorrow, Have a Happy New Year Everyone!



No comments: