Pages

Friday, November 8, 2013

A Treasured Tradition





Back in the days when this guy was about this little, it was Thanksgiving Day.
No company had come to town, I hadn't thought to invite anyone, and we weren't going anywhere. Its one of the few years ever that this happened as I recall. Cowgirl was already at college and it was just going to be the five of us.
Big and Littlebuddies had gone out in the backyard to play basketball. It was a mild and lovely day. I was inside preparing the dinner. I had set the table with three little candy corns tucked under the place cards on the table. Its a tradition that has been observed in my family long before I joined the scene and one I'm sure we'll celebrate to the end of our days. It MAKES Thanksgiving for me.

As I walked into the dining room a little later to set something on the table, I noticed at LittleBuddy's place there were lots more than three pieces of candy corn. LOTS. 
When the boys came in the house, I invited LittleBuddy in the dining room with me.  He looked at me with big eyes, waiting to see what the consequences of emptying the bag of candy corn at his place were going to be.  "I see that you're really grateful for a lot of things this year, " I said as I looked at the overflowing candy and my son.  He nodded slowly. "How about you count that candy for us and then if you can write down something  you're grateful for, next to every number, you can keep all the candy."  
Eager to keep the treats, he began his list. There were 42 pieces there, and it caused him to really think about what he was most thankful for. I kept the list. I remember how earnest he was as he wrote so many things down.  Its in his scrapbook next to the picture of his place setting with all the candy. I was grateful family was #2 on his list, even above friends which placed #3.
Its a treasured memory for me, and a treasured tradition. 

That year, LittleBuddy read all 42 things on his list and the rest of us shared the three we're most thankful for. There are twenty days left until Thanksgiving. 
I am counting my blessings early. I have a lot to be thankful for this year.  Even when life is challenging, the Lord continues to bless us and to see it so clearly just makes me not want to wait two and half more weeks. 
I plan on spending the rest of the month thinking of three things every day that I am most grateful for and writing them down. Somehow I don't think I'll have a hard time writing down 60 things. 
And I don't even need any candy corn as incentive.



No comments: