Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bargain Favorites

Yesterday was one of our warmest days so far.
It was also BigBuddy's day off, and we don't have A/C in our new home yet, so . . .
our plan was to stay cool - all day.

After getting chores done, we headed to the dollar theater at noon. I knew we could count on A/C there.

On the way home we would be having a late lunch at Sonic.

They don't have those in MD, or at least if they did, I wasn't aware.

I strategically planned so we would be there between 2 and 4 when my favorite drinks are half off. Those would be the Lemonberry Real Fruit Slush and the Limeades. I like Cranberry, Strawberry, and Cherry.

Then, stopping at the dollar store, we found all kinds of great gadgets for squirting water for less than $5. The favorite was the crayon, a long cylinder you can fill and then shoot. My kids were having so much fun, the neighbors came over and joined in. Then their mom came to see what was so much fun and now she's heading to the dollar store. Good things should be shared, and bargains for summer fun are always good.

Mutual was in the evening. 45 minutes before we were to leave LittleBuddy got a phone call that he was supposed to be bringing dessert to go with the steaks they hadn't gotten a chance to cook due to the cougar. I was not about to turn on the oven, but when I opened up the pantry I saw all the makings for s'mores. I've been doing some couponing lately, and had bought two each of graham crackers, chocolate bars, and marshmallows, getting a $1 off of each. So, I laid down the graham crackers in a glass pan, put broken chocolate and marshmallows over the top and microwaved it for only 30 seconds. The marshmallows were big and puffy and the chocolate was starting to melt so figured that was sufficient. Then I put more grahams on top, and voila - s'mores. Littlebuddy told me afterwards everyone loved it. And, I still have plenty of everything left for our Saturday Night S'mores, which I must say is a great tradition. Something about sitting around a fire, with no where to go, brings out the chat in everyone.

And, no matter how hot it gets in the day, its always cooler at night. We had a thunderstorm roll in around 6:30 last night which dropped the temperature 20 degrees and only lasted ten minutes. Best bargain air conditioning ever!

No comments: