Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Scary Critter Week

You may have seen my post on Facebook, but as it was the talk of church today, its fresh on my mind again.

LittleBuddy - bad lighting, but cute boy, almost as tall as me,spent the week at Scout Camp. On Tuesday MyMike came home from spending the first two days with the boys and said he didn't know why but he had a bad feeling about leaving our youngest son. That brought tears to my eyes just thinking about it, then MyGirl saw me, and said, Oh, mom, do you miss your boy? Yea, that's it, as I'm trying not to think the worst. Mike mentioned that for the next two days they'd be working on their rifle and shooting merit badges, so I started praying earnestly. All right, at one point, I asked MyMike if he thought we should go pick him up, but he gave me the look. We're not molly-coddling him. . . okay, but you brought it up my look responded.

Well, Friday night I'm feeling pretty good. The life-threatening merit badges are over, he'll be home the next day. I'm just getting ready to go make dinner when I get a phone call from his Scoutmaster. Instantly, my heart goes THUMP! First words out of his mouth are, "Hi, I hope you don't mind, I'm bringing your boy home early." "Is everything okay?" I say feeling sick inside. "Well, we spotted a mountain lion around the camp, and thought it'd just be safer to bring everyone home." VERY relieved, I say, "Great, good call, I'll see you in 90 minutes. Oh and thank you for keeping him safe all week."

Apparently, on Thursday two of the leaders and one of the boys spotted it, and felt slightly panicked. The leaders estimated it to be about 250 lbs., the largest they had ever seen, and they are both experienced in the wilderness. They talked with the forest service who advised that all the boys sleep in cars that night, but there weren't enough, so one dad slept with his two boys in their tent, and the Scoutmaster sat up all night around the campfire with his shotgun and bullhorn. Poor guy.

That day they're out at the lake, and come back to the tent area and find that one of their fish they had caught is gone, the Scouts find a leg of a deer in camp (only the leg) and there are big paw prints, over 9 inches across, around the tents, so that's when the leaders said enough. No wonder MyMike felt uneasy. It had probably been watching them for a couple of days before it got bold enough to get that close. A bunch of little Scouts running around looking like antelope, I'm sure. But, myLittleBuddy wasn't too worried. He said other boys were more worried, so he just helped calm them down. He had a great time and would go back again but I'm grateful we don't have to deal with that worry for another year.

On Wed. my middle two were feeling adventuresome so we went about 20 min. north to a unique state park. In the middle of the prairie, suddenly you have this.
Rocks and boulders that have become a canyon, with water running through the bottom.
I was happy to take them, until on the way there, BigBuddy informs me that our guide book says the hikes aren't too difficult, but watch out for rattlesnakes. I'm not too worried. That's one person's opinion, but I casually ask the gal who gives us our day pass at this state park, if they've seen any lately. Her response, "Yeah, a bunch down by the damn, and a few around, but just stay on the trails and you should be fine."
Not comforting, and frankly, I was on the lookout all along our hike, but we saw the area and it was interesting. However, my kids didn't think it was very fun that I didn't want to hike all the way to the damn. . . . PLEEEEEEASE! Besides, it was hot, and in spite of my hat, glasses, and long-sleeve, SPF 50 shirt, I was just feeling baked. Came home and had a nap and felt much better about everything.
Friday morning, a much more fun adventure, meeting Maryland friends at one of our favorite spots. All the teenagers were so happy to be reunited, and we spent all morning chatting and walking around.
The father was serving as bishop when I was Relief Society President so we have a good working relationship, and the wife and I have served together in YW as counselors, then I was her visiting teacher for several years. She was also LittleBuddy's Cubmaster for his last two years in Cubs, and Cowgirl and I both taught her children piano and I taught their two oldest in Sunday School for a year. Bigbuddy and their oldest daughter have been great friends all through their teenage years, and LittleBuddy and their middle boy were also good friends, so seeing them here, in our little spot on the map, was so fun! . . . Until the Ranger came to warn us that the local rattlesnakes were "having fun playing with people," (his exact words) so stay on the paths. Welcome to the Wild West - where the creatures are scary but the weather is beautiful!
Hoping for a non-creature week this week! The only thing I want to see is cattle out the back window. And maybe a deer or a little fox. Or a hawk . . . things lower on the food chain, you know what I mean?

No comments: