Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Routines

I love summer vacation with all its flexibility and opportunity, but I also love the routines of our life that make us US. MyGirl got back from camp today. All week long she went to bed after 11:30 pm and had to wake up at 6:30am. That is about three hours less sleep than she gets each night, so she came home and slept for five hours. I woke her up for dinner, and then she showered and went right back to bed, and will probably sleep until I wake her up for church tomorrow. She had a good week. But, as her socks and matching nightie say, "I don't do mornings." I'm proud of her for doing what she needed to as a camp youth leader, but we can all appreciate her comment during dinner, "It sure feels good to sleep in a bed again." Its a routine I sure enjoy too!
Three years ago when we were in California visiting Mike's parents, Cowgirl had to leave early to be a bridesmaid for her friend getting married in the Denver Temple. Today she is visiting those same grandparents in Calif, and now we are in Colorado. This time she gets to be a bridesmaid for a friend getting married in the San Diego Temple. She called me and told me what a lovely afternoon she had in one of my favorite cities after leaving the temple that morning. And, she has had a good time to visit with her grandparents too, so I am happy for that. She is so busy with full time school and full time work, so its been nice for her to have a break from her busy routines.

As mentioned last week, we did have another S'more Saturday night, but MyGirl wasn't interested in participating. "I've had enough of campfires this week." However, she did have some new adventures, on the zipline, shooting a rifle, and shooting an arrow at the archery area. She kept saying, it wasn't like Maryland girl's camp, but I still had a good week. Sometimes breaking out of the routine is a way for us to grow and try new things. I'm glad she's had different experiences. She's being stretched and she's rising to the challenge, and I'm grateful.
My boys woke me up this morning for another fishing opportunity. Back to their favorite lake, their favorite spot, with their favorite bait, and each other. Our routines are nothing spectacular, but they are relaxing and enjoyable to us. My neighbor down the street with four children under 12 is busy taking her kids to this camp and these lessons and she told me she barely has time to wipe her counters every morning. I remember those days, and don't miss them at all. I'm enjoying our leisurely routines - books, fishing, s'mores and lots of time to chat and cuddle. Summer will fly past soon enough. I want to remember that tonight we laughed around the fire, hearing BigBuddy tell tales of past Scout camps and Dad reminisce about belly flops off the high dive. We had to keep repositioning LittleBuddy and his dad as LittleBuddy kept accidentally hitting his dad's bad knee with the hot marshmallow sticks. We heard tales again of Dad and BigBuddy's big motorcycle adventure on Thursday. We all loved feeling the warmth of the fire, and realized we need sweat jackets in the summer evenings when the sun goes down now that we live by the mountains. Its a new life for us here with new routines, and while there are things about our old life we miss, we are settling in pretty well to our new routines too.

No comments: