Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Bonding

A couple of weeks ago BigBuddy and his dad decided to take the motorbikes on their first Colorado adventure.
I took these pictures of them before they left, everything in the trailer, and ready for a fun day.
They called me a few hours later with glowing reports . . . .this is less than an hour from home,
the trail is pretty easy, great views, not crowded at all, we're having so much fun, we've gotta come again, etc., etc.
I was happy for them. Our dad always has a long list of things to do. He works hard for all of us. Last week it included changing oil, checking gauges, etc. and he promised when he moved us here - more fun!
When they got home, around dinnertime, imagine my surprise when I see my husband. His pants are totally ripped up at both knees and he has a blood streak on the side of his face. No time for pictures, I'm grabbing the neosporin, bandaids, a wet washcloth, etc. When I ask him what happened, he said he told our son he was going to check out a road "over there" and be right back. Suddenly the road became the side of the mountain, and he was going uphill pretty steeply, and fell. Twenty minutes later when he hadn't returned, BigBuddy went searching and found him. He was upright, his bike was okay, but everything wasn't working right, and so they came home. The next night, as he's laying in bed, he (MyMike) tells me, "I should never have gone by myself. I never would have attempted that with our son. I always get myself in trouble when I think I am 18 again. I going to be more responsible from now on. No more overly grand adventures." I nod and tell him how sorry I am he can hardly walk, the scabs on his knees are so thick it hurts him just to sit at the table, and forget kneeling for prayer. I'm sure he's learned his lesson. Pain is usually a pretty good teacher.

So the very next week, we're up at the reunion and BigBuddy talked with one of the park workers who told him about some great hikes in the area. He decides "Eagle Claw" sounds like a great one, and its only supposed to be 3-4 hours round trip which will leave plenty of time for other reunion activities. He tells all his cousins about it, but they don't seem interested. However, his dad thinks that sounds great, so they head out after lunch.

Look at how steep this is! It was practically straight uphill.
Yes, the views were stunning!
Yes, at this altitude you are breathing hard.
Well, they made it to the top. I'm wondering if someone died at the top - hence the cross.
Bigbuddy tells me his dad's legs were shaking by the time there. The rest of the reunion, my dear husband wasn't feeling too well.
I asked him, when he got back. . . what about not pushing yourself like an 18 year old? I had to go with my son, he tells me. I couldn't let him do this hard thing alone.

BigBuddy loves and appreciates him for doing it. He knows it was hard on his dad. After taking me on the rattlesnake hike, which I refer to it now, he knows he needs a buddy to share in the challenges he's ready and eager for. He's excited his buddy from MD comes in a month. He's taken the days off work he needs so they can have some great adventures. Mostly, though, he's ready for his mission. We check the mailbox every day -ANTICIPATION!

Something about challenges, doing hard things, and pushing yourself with other people bonds you together. I think he'll have that opportunity over and over again on his mission, and I've realized that that is exactly what this 18 year old boy needs. His dad and I are about used up and its time for others his own age to fill in the gap and eventually an eternal companion who will age with him. Oh, the wisdom of the Lord. I increasingly am in awe at how every detail is correct and his great love for each of us, to provide what we need right when we need it. Life is good. Heavenly Father is great! We are Blessed!

No comments: