Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Grandma Jacobs

I am getting excited for our family reunion coming next week! I've been working on a good creative project, and have used the reunion as a deadline - a scrapbook of my paternal grandmother. I really love both sets of my grandparents. I have been blessed to know them all, but my grandparents in California were the ones I spent the most time with, and was able to see the most frequently after I had my children. However, the first one to pass away was this grandma, Jetta Jacobs. She died just six months after my first child was born, and then not-coincidentally, I think, my youngest child was born exactly ten years after she passed. His middle name is Jacob is honor of that side of my family. So, although it took me fifteen years to get around to creating it, its done.

My grandfather gave me a box of photos and papers a few years after she passed away when I went to visit him one time. I was so glad he did. At first I went through it and took all the papers, read through them, and was able to write her life story. It's about twenty pages long. I finished that about fifteen years ago. I just didn't know what to do with the photos, but when I went to my dad's in April, he and I sat through and looked through the few pictures that were actually there. My grandma had written on the back of them with ink pen, and some of the acid from those, are already starting to show on the front, but by creating the book, and taking digital photos of it all, now I have what I hope will be a permanent record of her life. I'm looking forward to sharing it with my family. Its going to be good to make new memories together and to remember our shared history as well.


1 comment:

Jen and Daz said...

Carolyn I love that you did this of Grandma! I hope to be able to see it and read all that you've done one day! What a wonderful tribute to her! Have a fabulous time at your family reunion! Love and hugs!!! Jen