Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

GR Details

Here is the view of the Great Room from the big windows. You can see how open the rooms are to each other.
We did get a new rug this week. I hunted all over, on line, every time I went to a store, and FINALLY made a selection. It was like being at a new restaurant. I never needed rugs before, I always had carpeting, so this was a new process for me. Its from Pottery Barn - I know, its shocking, on my ever-frugal budget, but I did receive a 10% off coupon, so that helped me justify it.
And, after the fireplace was finished, I wanted the fireplace to be one of the focal points of the room, the other being the views outside, not a colorful rug. This was the only one that fit my criteria which included some texture, easy to upkeep and neutral. Its an 8 x 10, which shows you that the room really isn't all that big, but when we're all sitting there, its close enough to feel cozy, and the big sofa faces the windows, because really, that's why we chose this house.
Here is the new ottoman/bench. We could use it for a coffee table, but so far its working to fill up the space under the window and will serve as extra seating when people come over. Underneath are three baskets. That's where we keep our scriptures now so we can access them easily after dinner or breakfast, depending on our day's schedule.
Details of the pillows I got from Walmart. I wanted the light blue as the fireplace has some light blue, and it goes with the blue sky views out back. The details reminded me of some of the ones I was looking at in the Pottery Barn catalog, but for 1/3 the price.
This one brought in the dark red which I love. With all my neutrals - floors, walls, furniture, these colorful details bring the room to life. I'm also seriously contemplating painting the armoire that use to be in the kitchen black. Its sitting left of the fireplace, and just looking too orange, though I like that color, I think black will help it tie into the kitchen and the entryway better with their touches of black too.
And, the final view, now facing out back. I keep looking outside, thinking I should get some type of curtain or valance or blind or something for privacy at night, but I just can't bring myself to do it yet, for want to keep the FULL view in the daytime. But, it would add color also. . . any ideas? Feel free to comment below and let me know what you think. Oh, and that dark spot on the window - its actually the cord for the ceiling fan sticking down - things to think about when you're taking pictures, that I often forget :-0

No comments: