Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Monument Lake

Last week after hiking around Garden of the Gods the kids were really excited to go fishing. The night before we had gotten licenses and the rods were loaded in the back of the car. We got there after lunch and as you can see, several other people had the same idea, but we found a spot just a little off the center of the lake, pulled the car right by the edge, and let them fish. My dad, who barely likes to fish, was a great grandpa, helping them get situated, though his line kept having problems. I think he only got to cast about three times. He is so patient!

One of my least favorite parts of fishing is hooking the bait on, especially worms. In fact, I don't do it. Its the duty of a fisherman/woman to load their own hook. Here my girl isn't too excited about it, as her brother wholeheartedly embraces the opportunity. . .
but she did it herself, with bright pink fingernail polish on. She's a true fisherwoman!
It was a beautiful day, a little windy, but clear and bright. Unfortunately, no fish were biting for us.
As the day went on, Little Buddy grew impatient. He had asked earlier in the day if we could stay until dark, but after half an hour, he felt differently.
Two hours after we arrived, we packed everything up and headed out. Just as we were about to leave, we saw two men pulling out a big one. I rolled down my window, and asked them what their secrets were. They said, "Just lucky," but I have to think it was more than that. They said it was a 20 inch rainbow trout, and it looked BIG to me. I felt bad my children didn't get to catch anything, but seeing the size of that one gave us all hope for next time.

No comments: