Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday

I love Sundays. A day of rest is just exactly what I need, and yet I find I am still busy, just doing different things, and these are what I love about Sundays.

I make a nicer breakfast for my family than just milk and cereal boxes. Not huge, but something better. Today was omelets with mushrooms, leek, tomato, honey ham, or cheese. They were made to order, and I loved making them for whoever wanted one.

Today I had a presidency meeting which was productive, kept to an hour, and these woman I work with are wonderful! Love them!

I have my parents here this week, and it was fun to introduce them to the nice people I have met here.

Whatever I fix for dinner, I try to make it something that everyone likes and not use it to try out new recipes. I want the meal to be successful to set the stage for the rest of our time together that night at home. Today I made salmon for dinner, which is always a treat, with asparagus, corn, and risotto, the only rice dish I can eat successfully.

We always have a special dessert on Sunday. Today's was angel food cake with fudge swirl ice cream and thawed berries over top. YUM! Isn't that a great tradition???

I talk to my relatives. Today to my oldest son. Tomorrow my oldest daughter. Her phone broke and she's getting her new one tomorrow. Can't wait. Its been a long week, without catching up with her. And, how fun to talk to both my parents at once in my own home this week - way better than the phone, for sure!

We often play board games and just relax in the evenings. I love this time. Its unstructured, conversation is often meaningful, and it feels like quality family time.

I love going to church. I need the reminders, the music, the feelings, the opportunities to learn and mostly to serve. It has profoundly impacted my life and I am grateful I live in a country where I can worship how I please.

Its a day I usually stay dressed up all day. I'm not opposed to changing out of Sunday clothes, and sometimes I do, but most of the time I stay dressed up. I remember being a 19 year old who worked every Sunday afternoon after our morning church, and as I changed out of my skirt and into my blue jeans I felt something leave me. It always made me a little sad. I only worked at that job for 10 weeks, but apparently those affected me a lot because to this day I personally still feel a little sad when I change into blue jeans on Sunday, so I don't hardly ever. Maybe something more casual, but can't remember when I last wore blue jeans on Sunday. After those ten weeks I have been so grateful to have the choice to wear something nice instead of what I wear the rest of the week. (Mind you, I won't judge anyone else on this, but its how it makes me feel that I'm talking about here.)

Now, while I may stay dressed, I am not in heels for long. I love coming home and changing into my slippers for the rest of the day too, at least until I am bringing children somewhere that evening for their spiritual betterment. In my slippers it means I am relaxed and comfortable, and that is good.

I love the quiet. We do watch TV on Sunday. I know for some families this is taboo. Again, I won't judge anyone else so please don't judge me. But for the most part, I don't watch much, and usually, now that my children are older, I can usually find time to read from a spiritually enlightening book, often scriptures, and just mentally plan and prepare for what I know is coming ahead in the week. In the hustle and bustle of everyday life, I need this time to "gear up."

The Lord is so wise to require this by commandment. I know I for one surely need it!
I love the Lord for giving us this day. Praises be to Him always!

No comments: