Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Kitchen

My parents are coming in a week, then my children all come home.
MyMike wants us to start inviting all the people who have invited us to dinners so far, so that makes four hostessing duties on the horizon, and I'm not really done with the kitchen, but for now, welcoming is more important than fabulous design.
Besides, I'm still unsettled about the Great Room. It needs a minimum of some plants, and a little more something to give it some Life, but not sure what.
Anyhow, like I say, its more about the people and loving them, but at least the house is getting usable and more comfortable each week, so its progress.

In the kitchen I'd love to have new countertops - black honed granite, I think. It looks like soapstone, but is more durable. Maybe even a Caesarstone in a matte black finish. . . haven't studied it much, but know replacing the chipped ceramic tile and sink and old faucet are on the horizon, but not in my budget until after the pre-mission expenses are paid up. For now, though, its quite usable, even without an island which I'm used to, but find I don't really miss. Here you can see its close proiximity to the dining room and that you can see into it from the front door - motivation to keep it clean! For the decor on top, I'm still loving the red flower plates, and LittleBuddy really wanted me to use his ceramic pots in the decor, so there they are in white.

This is actually what you see most from the front door. . . Find Joy in the Journey. . . I say it to myself everyday, no matter how I'm feeling, but especially when I'm discouraged about something. There's not time when its needed more than when things are going wrong. I'm glad its come from the mouth of a prophet of God. I can trust that if I live by those words, things will be okay in the end. I've been thinking about the families in Japan who have had such a great tragedy thrown upon them without warning. That makes everything in my life look small. What do I have to ever complain about? Nothing. Find Joy - its an attitude choice for me. And, how hard it would be to be in their shoes now, and rebuild after such loss, and what if you lost a family member too? Hard things. I am sad for them and pray there will be little ounces of joy they can find anyhow, in their hardest of journeys. Sometimes when things are really bad, I think at least the Atonement covers this too. The healing only the Savior can provide is sometimes the only comfort in life there is.

Back to my tour. . . sorry I get so sidetracked in my thoughts.

This is also like a butler's pantry. Its not attached to the rest of the kitchen countertops. It faces the back entry from the garage, so it regularly gets used to being unloaded upon. As you can see here, my tools for hanging pictures are on the countertops now. And, that little peek-a-boo window? Not sure what its for, but its just another way to bring in more light and gives me snow check, as the grill is what in front of it, and collects easily when its snowing.
Here is the view behind the greatroom wall. My phone station, and the organizer on the hall/wall behind it help me to have a place to keep things together, without having to expose them to everyone in the great room or at the front door.
This is my largest countertop area. Its my prep area. My knives are in the small drawer next to the fridge and I find that to be very convenient. My pot holders are just left of the oven in the drawers and baking utensils left of that, so I don't have to walk far to access all my tools. However, because it is in the corner, I could use an under-counter lap, but my overhead lighting is plenty bright, so I don't really need it, just like that thought.
Here is the new chalkboard I recently got. I've put dinner menus on it and today it has a quote that I want my children to remember - "Whatever we think we are, we become." MyGirl has been giving me quotes lately too, for part of a challenge from YW, and I find we both just make up how we feel about something. Its similar to the words others have used, so I don't think the ideas are original at all, but I'm not giving a source when I just pull it out of my head. If it is attributed exactly to someone else, forgive me. Nothing intentionally meant to decieve here - just to inspire. Anyhow, I like that this little chalkboard has a heart on it as well as a place to hold the chalk. And, Amour, seems the perfect theme for a kitchen.
Last but not least a close-up of the little area of the butler's pantry, and the Bon Appetit above the pantry drawer. So, that's the kitchen, except for the sink area which is so ugly, it really doesn't warrant photos, but like I say, that will be changed out eventually.

No comments: