Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Remembering my WHY

After all the posts of my house, you probably think I'm obsessed with home dec. But the truth is, I'm glad that part of my life is about over. I've still got several pictures I need to make decisions on, but this one is a keeper. I don't think this frame does adequate justice to the picture it holds, so I will probably switch it out, but it is one of my very favorite pictures of the Savior. I noticed when I started decorating that I put up the things in my home that were up most recently in my last house, that the stager recommended, because I knew they would look good, and they do, like the flowers and mirror to the left. But, she had me take down most of my religious and family personal items, and I realized that without them, my house is not really my home. I need to look at a picture of the Savior Every Single Day because I need that constant reminder when I turn the corner that He is WHY I am here, WHY I am doing what I do. Without Him, why would I get up to drive to seminary, why would I pray with my children, why would I be so concerned about what they learn, and how they are doing? Why is my relationship with my husband so important to me, why do I gladly give my time away to go to the temple or to bring in a meal or to try to be more patient once again? Because I know that Jesus is my Savior. Literally. And this is what I promised Him I'd do. The covenants He and I have made are really my WHY, and I want this picture to be reminded of them every day of my life.

Talking with my children this week about the sad, hard things happening to many in Japan, I have reminded them, that we all will have hard things in our lives at one time or another, and that the saddest to me, is that many of the Japanese people do not know that Heavenly Father has taken their loved ones back to Him. They do not know that suffering can bring us closer to Him. They do not know that when they trust Him, He will make things all right in the end. They do not know the power of the Atonement and the healing that can come from Jesus Christ, that cannot come from any other source. Those without Hope are the ones I ache for the most. In all the sad things in my life, I have been blessed to know that there is someone who knows better than I when life seems so unjust. Someone who perfectly loves me and that I can always turn to in my most difficult times. That is Jesus.

I like to look at this picture and imagine that I am the girl sitting at his feet, listening to and watching His every word, and that the boy standing next to the Savior is me too. Because like all God's children, I know that He listens to me intently, and I know that if I was that close to Him, He would put His arm around me too, and I could tell Him anything. Somedays I wish I could be that close to Him now. Until that day comes, I pray to never forget our covenant and to always make good on my promises.

No comments: